We all know the saying when you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras.
Patients are all special individuals. Each member of the human family is of value. A gem with unique qualities. Now for the big BUT…
- your body temperature of 98.9 degrees Fahrenheit is not a raging fever because you “run low”.
- Your 24 hour long viral sinus infection will NOT respond to a Z-pak. There is no “nipping it in the bud”
- I understand you don’t have time to be sick but sadly those are the breaks sometimes
- Your sore throats that tested negative for strep is not a rare negative-testing strain
- I will recheck your blood pressure because 125/78 is “high for you” but I’m not treating a normal result
- No you will not convince me that the flu shot gave you the flu
- I’m sorry your pain pills were stolen,fell in the dogs water bowl, flew into the toilet, got thrown away by a family member but I can refill you early
- I understand that medicine XYZ made you nauseated but that’s not a true allergy
- No I cannot agree that taking your blood pressure medicine when you “feel off” instead of every day
- No I can’t in good conscience prescribe soma for your over-active bladder
Please know dear patient that I will care for you as if you were a member of my own family but I can’t believe that I have the only all-zebra practice in the world.